Thursday 15 September 2016

What Does Love Look Like Here?

Nearly every day we find ourselves in situations where we feel offended, devalued, cheated, unjustly treated, slighted, ignored, annoyed by someone else’s behaviour, taken advantage of and more. Or we are in the presence of others who experience such actions against them. Often our first response to such situations is rightly to be upset, even angry, for such behaviour is wrong. However, how we decide to respond to our feelings is pivotal to what happens next. 

Consider Jesus’ response to an grossly unjust situation:

But even as Jesus said this, a crowd approached, led by Judas, one of the twelve disciples. Judas walked over to Jesus to greet him with a kiss.  But Jesus said, “Judas, would you betray the Son of Man with a kiss?” When the other disciples saw what was about to happen, they exclaimed, “Lord, should we fight? We brought the swords!”  And one of them struck at the high priest’s slave, slashing off his right ear.  But Jesus said, “No more of this.” And he touched the man’s ear and healed him.   (Luke 22:47-51)

The disciples are rightly upset by what is happening, they are angry, and they react. Peter strikes out and cuts off the ear of one of the slaves. Wrong response. Jesus stops him and then heals the slave. Peter decided to lash our, Jesus to love. 

I was angry, plotting revenge

More often and not we are like Peter in our reactions to situations that upset and anger us. We want to lash out, to defend ourselves, to get even. Or if we don’t lash out right then we express our anger by complaining to others and by taking a passive aggressive approach to the culprit. The other day I was due to catch a train at one of the smaller London train stations. I arrived there with only 5 minutes to catch the train which is normally more than enough time. However, the display for train departures was blank and so I didn’t know which platform to go to. I then looked for an attendant and couldn’t see any. I looked around for signs that might tell me where to go and there were none that designated what platform I needed. I began scurrying around trying to find an attendant and finally came across one. I rushed down the steps and raced for the train only for the door to close the moment I arrived. I looked up and down the train with hope the driver would see me and open the door, but no, the train left without me. I was angry that the display was not functioning, angry at the lack of signage, angry at the attendant being off to the side where she was hardly visible, angry at the driver unwillingness to open the door. It took me awhile to calm down and remind myself this was not the end of the world and I could catch the next train in half-an-hour. Did I ask myself what would love look like in this situation? I must admit I did not. On reflection if I had, I am not sure what I could have done. But then I never gave God the chance to show me. 

My own reaction to just missing a train makes me wonder how Jesus could have been so in control of his own feelings, restraining his disciples and showing compassion for the slave. It is an amazing act of love. How did he do that? We might think that for Jesus it was easy, that he just took what was happening in stride being who he was. However, what he says next shows that he is fully feels the injustice of their treatment of him:

Then Jesus said to the chief priests and officers of the temple and elders, who had come out against him, “Have you come out as against a robber, with swords and clubs? When I was with you day after day in the temple, you did not lay hands on me. But this is your hour, and the power of darkness.” Luke 22:52-53

It is despicable what the religious leaders are doing and Jesus knows it and feels it. He was human just like you and me. 

To love like Jesus is impossible

To follow Jesus is impossible. In no way can we ever in our own power act as Jesus did even with a small matter as missing a train. We need a power much greater then our own. God has made such a power available to us, the Holy Spirit. Paul said:

For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbour as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another. But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.       Galatians 5;14-16

God knows that due to our sinful nature we can never, never even come close to loving in the manner of Jesus. We need empowering, we need the indwelling of his Spirit. And here we come to one of the miracles of the cross. God could never indwell an unrighteous person but only one who is holy. However, our own sin put paid to any hope of ever obtaining holiness through our own efforts. Jesus knew this and it is one of the reasons he went to the cross for us, to make us holy. In Christ we are now holy vessels who God’s spirit can indwell. This is a staggering act of love by God for us. The God who is angry with us for our rebellious, disobedient behaviour chooses to respond in love. 

As the train pulled away in many ways I was right to be angry and upset, but I was wrong to dwell on my anger and plot how I could get back at the “culprits”. Rather at that moment I should have stopped and ask God for help. I should have confessed my revengeful thoughts and ask for the Holy Spirit to enable me to forgive and consider what would love do. I have been in other upsetting situations where I have done this and God does quiet my soul, taking away the anger and enabling me to respond in love and its wonderful. Rather than adding fuel to the flames, God enables me to bring good, to restore. I become a channel of His peace and love and in the process I am restored, I am becoming the person that God intended me to be. 

To follow Jesus is to join him in bringing his kingdom to this world


Through Jesus God is inviting us all into a life of love, to be peace makers, to bring good into situations that are riven with bitterness, anger, injustice, jealousy, and more. Jesus announced the Good News as bringing the kingdom which is ruled by love. His desire for us to join Him in restoring this world is so great that He willingly sacrificed his own Son.  In Christ we are  made holy and in-dwelt by his Spirit. In Christ we are not bound to  revengeful, spiteful, defensive responses to what upsets and angers us. We have another option. Next time you find yourself in an upsetting situation, stop and ask for the help of the Holy Spirit and then ask “What would love do here”. In doing so you join with Jesus in bringing his kingdom of love. You'll be amazed at what God will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment